First Aid in the Event of Data Loss
Whenever important data are deleted from your computer or digital camera, it is important to pay attention to the following information in order to maximize the chances of a successful data recovery. Should you have further questions, please contact our technical support department. Please note that we can only provide free support for registered customers in line with our license agreements. However, we do offer a fee-based data recovery service in conjunction with our subsidiary company O&O Services GmbH. Contact information can be found at the bottom of the page.
Please beware that data recovery is unfortunately not possible in all cases. Deleted data could be overwritten by the operating system either before you notice the data are missing or before you utilize the correct countermeasure. Because of this, it is always advised to regularly back-up you important data.
Causes of Data Loss
There are a lot of reasons why data losses occur. Barring a hardware failure, the cause of such data losses have little effect on whether or not data can be recovered. Below is an incomplete list of a few of the most common reasons for the loss of data:
- User error
- Viruses or other malicious programs
- Software malfunctions
What is Important to Remember When a Data Loss Occurs?
In the event of data loss, the correct course of action can be decisive in increasing the probability of whether or not specific data can be recovered. It is important to understand that when data are deleted, they are not gone. Instead, they are merely reclassified on the hard disk or memory card as “free” in order to allow this data to be overwritten and therefore destroyed. Once a piece of data has been overwritten, it is no longer easily recoverable. Please consider the following:
- When possible, after data loss has occurred, do not write any more data.
- Close all applications and, when possible, avoid saving any data.
- Shut down your computer.
- Think about how the data was erased. Try not to panic and hastily attempt to recover the data. This could lead to even more data loss.
- If the data were “normally” deleted, they can be found in the Recycle Bin. Open the Recycle Bin and restore those files in question.
- If the data were really deleted, it is advised to utilize the functionality of a data recovery program such as O&O UnErase. Save and install this software onto a different partition (e.g. “D:” instead of “C:”) than where you would like to rescue the data.
- If you only have one partition (e.g. only “C:”), you should download and install the software onto another computer and create a diskette with “O&O InstantUnErase.” More detailed instructions as to how to do this you can found in the O&O UnErase user handbook.
Questions and Problems
In the event that you are not able to recover your lost data, please contact us. Again, please note that we can only provide free support for registered customers in line with our license agreements. However, we do offer a fee-based data recovery service in conjunction with our subsidiary company O&O Services GmbH. Contact information can be found at the bottom of the page.